PrintPrint © 2009 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

Cardinals Museum announces new acquisitions
09/28/2009 4:32 PM ET
The St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum announced today the acquisition of several new artifacts including Bob Gibson's 1968 Cy Young Award, Gibson's personal hall of fame plaque, one of Gibson's game used gloves and Earl "Sparky" Adams' 1931 World Series championship ring.

1968 is known as the year of the pitcher, due in large part to the success Bob Gibson had on the mound. His 1.12 earned run average that season was the lowest since the deadball era ceased in 1919 and he completed 28 of the 34 games he started, including 13 shutouts, leading the Cardinals to the National League pennant. Gibson also captured the National League Most Valuable Player Award, joining the likes of Musial, Medwick and Dean among several other Cardinals before him. To date there have only been two Cy Young Award winners in the history of the franchise-Gibson (1968, 1970) and Chris Carpenter (2005).

"1.12 is one of the legendary numbers in baseball," said Paula Homan, Curator of the Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum, "and we're excited to add his Cy Young Award from that incredible season to our collection to share with fans for decades to come."

The Museum also acquired one of Gibson's game used gloves from his standout career and the plaque given to him by the National Baseball Hall of Fame commemorating his induction in 1981. The plaque is a smaller version of that which is hanging in the hallowed hall in Cooperstown, NY.

Earl "Sparky" Adams had a short stay with the Cardinals in the 1930's, but made a significant impact. As the starting third baseman in 1930, he batted .314 for the Rebirds making that group of starters the only team in MLB history where each player batted over .300 (min of 300 at bats). Though the Cardinals lost the World Series to the Philadelphia Athletics, they would return to conquer the same foes in 1931. Adams led the league in doubles en route to the pennant, but was injured in September, limiting his time in the Fall Classic. The Cardinals still came away victorious in an exciting seven game affair and were awarded championship rings for only the second time in franchise history.

The ring is in remarkable condition and still retains its original box which indicates that it was made by Gradwohl J. Co. in St. Louis, MO. This 1931 World Series ring joins an extensive collection of championship rings held by the Museum which represent every other World Series championship and National League pennant (post-1944 when league championship rings were first presented) in franchise history.

The St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame is the official historical repository of the Cardinals and maintains a collection of more than 15,000 artifacts spanning over 100 years of baseball history in St. Louis. The Museum is temporarily closed as plans progress for a new facility in Ballpark Village, across the street from Busch Stadium. For more information about the museum, please call (314) 345-9600.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.


Cardinals Homepage   |  MLB.com