SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants' workout at AT&T Park on Saturday had a frightening interruption when first-base coach Roberto Kelly was hit in the back of the head by a line drive from Buster Posey, who was taking batting practice.
Kelly was transported to St. Francis Hospital, where he was released Saturday night after being diagnosed with a concussion. The 48-year-old fifth-year coach will meet with doctors again before Sunday's National League Championship Series opener against the Cardinals, and the Giants said Kelly is expected to be on the field as long as he is medically cleared.
"Any time somebody gets hit in the head, you're worried," Posey said, adding that he did not see the ball hit Kelly. "He seemed to be doing all right and he was cognizant, answering questions. Any time there's a head injury, it's scary. You can't take anything for granted with that; you have to be really, really careful."
Kelly, who had been hitting ground balls to outfielders from around second base, fell to the ground and laid motionless face down after a topspin-heavy line drive from Posey cleared the second-base screen that separated Kelly from the batting practice being held at home plate. Athletic trainers helped Kelly turn over to lie on his back for a few minutes before they helped him walk off the field.
"He was just in that right place when the ball hit him," said Gregor Blanco, who had been fielding ground balls from Kelly. "It was crazy. We all just hope he's OK because it's sad and scary."
Saturday's incident came after Oakland Athletics pitcher Brandon McCarthy took a line drive to the side of his head during a game against the Angels on Sept. 5, with McCarthy having to undergo emergency surgery for an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture after initially walking off the field under his own power.
Giants' NLCS roster won't include Melky
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants are not considering the addition of left fielder Melky Cabrera to the roster for the National League Championship Series against St. Louis, manager Bruce Bochy said Saturday.Officially, Cabrera is eligible to join the team. He has served all 50 games of his Aug. 15 suspension for testing positive for testosterone, prompting Major League Baseball to reinstate him. But the Giants, who announced before the Division Series that Cabrera wasn't in their postseason plans, stuck to their decision.
"No," Bochy said Saturday when asked if the team was pondering a Cabrera return. "We've crossed that bridge. That's over."Cabrera hit an NL-best .346, but disqualified himself from consideration for the batting title in a unique agreement with Major League Baseball and the Players Association. Bochy said he and the Giants' decision-makers were still contemplating other possible adjustments to the club's roster for the NLCS. He said the Giants could "tweak" the composition of the bench, which in turn might prompt the club to trim its 12-man Division Series pitching staff to 11. The deadline for finalizing the NLCS roster is 10 a.m. PT on Sunday. Bochy confirmed that all five starting pitchers would be included on the roster. He didn't announce his pitching plans beyond his starters for Games 1 and 2, respectively Madison Bumgarner and Ryan Vogelsong. But Bochy added that Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito would be available to pitch relief in the series' first two games. Bochy declined to name a starter for Game 3, but it's widely believed that Matt Cain will be the choice.