TAMPA, Fla. -- Brian Bogusevic said Friday, "As of right now, they've told me I'm not going to be on the 25-man roster to start the season."
But that is all the 30-year-old outfielder knows for certain.
"I'm in limbo," Bogusevic admitted.
He may be released, he may be designated for assignment, and there is still a possibility, however remote, that he will be on the Marlins' Opening Day team.
"I guess there are still some things that can happen in the next day or two," Bogusevic said. "It's part of the game. It happens. You deal with it."
Although the Marlins made up their mind on Thursday about Bogusevic not making the Opening Day roster, they are keeping him around as protection, in case they are struck by another unexpected injury.
"As we saw yesterday [with the Ed Lucas injury], you never really know," manager Mike Redmond explained. "Things can change in a short amount of time. These last few games are always a little dicey. You never really know until you pack the car and head south.
"We'll see how it goes the next couple of days. We'll set the roster on Sunday."
Bogusevic, who was acquired in a trade with the Cubs in December for Justin Ruggiano, is out of options and would have to be designated for assignment and clear waivers before the Marlins could send him to Triple-A -- assuming he is willing to go.
"I hope some team will pick me up," he said. "But the closer you get to Opening Day, the more unlikely it is."
Asked if he would be willing to go to Triple-A, with the Marlins or some other team, Bogusevic said, "I haven't even thought about it. I don't know what my options would be right now."
Bogusevic, who was viewed by the Marlins as a left-handed-hitting backup outfielder, was a disappointment this spring, batting only .174 with an on-base percentage of .188, a walk and 10 strikeouts in 47 plate appearances.
"I'm not entirely where I want to be," Bogusevic admitted.
With the Cubs last season, Bogusevic batted .273 with six home runs and 16 RBIs in 47 games.
Lucas to miss four to six weeks with broken hand
TAMPA, Fla. -- Utility infielder Ed Lucas -- who earned a place on the Marlins' Opening Day roster on Thursday, then broke his left hand hours later when he was struck by a pitch -- is likely "going to be out four to six weeks," manager Mike Redmond said Friday.
The 31-year-old Lucas will be placed on the disabled list on Sunday, when the Marlins cut their roster down to the mandatory 25.
"I feel terrible for Eddie, and I know a lot of the guys do, too," Redmond said. "He makes his first Opening Day roster, and he breaks his hand."
Redmond said he spoke to Lucas after the infielder learned the extent of his injury.
"He seemed fine, but I'm sure he was really disappointed," the Marlins' manager said.
Lucas will be joined on the disabled list by 36-year-old second baseman Rafael Furcal. It is expected that Furcal will be placed on the DL retroactive to March 21. He would be eligible to return as soon as April 5, but Furcal, who hasn't played in a Grapefruit League game since March 15, will probably require a rehab assignment before he rejoins the Marlins.
"It's based on him and how he feels," Redmond said. "That's really the key. We want to establish health with him and not feel like he has to rush."
Solano benefits from Lucas' bad break
TAMPA, Fla. -- Some 24 hours earlier, Donovan Solano had been mired in disappointment, worrying about where he and his wife were going to live in New Orleans and how he was going to get his car there.
Friday night, with a newfound smile on his face, Solano was starting at shortstop for the Marlins against the Yankees.
"I was disappointed, I can't describe it," admitted Solano, who was cut by the Marlins and optioned to Triple-A New Orleans on Thursday morning then quickly recalled hours later after Ed Lucas, who had beaten Solano out for the utility infielder's job, was hit by a pitch Thursday afternoon and suffered a fracture to the back of his left hand.
"That was a crazy day for me," Solano said.
"Everybody feels bad for Ed," he continued. "Nobody wants a bad situation for a teammate."
Solano -- who was the Marlins' regular second baseman for most of last season, starting 92 games -- was hitting .313 with a .742 on-base plus slugging percentage this spring, heading into Friday night's game against the Yankees.
"I had a great spring -- that's why I felt so bad in the morning," Solano said. "I played my best baseball this spring. I didn't expect that [the demotion].
"When they called and told me, 'Come back,' I was excited. Everybody wants to be on the Opening Day team."
"He [Solano] can do a lot of things, too," said manager Mike Redmond, who had chosen Lucas over Solano because of his versatility. "Fortunately we have another player we can bring up to fill that gap.
"It's crazy, sometimes, how baseball works."
Slowey sets strong pitching tone as late sub
TAMPA, Fla. -- Long reliever Kevin Slowey started Friday night's exhibition game in place of Jacob Turner for two reasons.
Manager Mike Redmond wanted Turner, who will be No. 4 in the Marlins' starting rotation during the regular season, to stay behind in Jupiter, Fla., to pitch in a Minor League game.
"We wanted to control the amount of innings he threw, and we can do that better in a Minor League game," Redmond explained.
In addition, Redmond wanted to set his bullpen up for Monday's season opener against the Rockies.
Slowey and a quartet of Marlins relievers -- Carlos Marmol, Dan Jennings, A.J. Ramos and Mike Dunn -- responded by holding the Yankees hitless until the eighth inning, when New York banged out three hits and two runs off closer Steve Cishek for a 3-0 win.
"I started to think we were going to throw another no-hitter and lose 1-0," said Redmond, referring to the Marlins' no-hit victory over the Yankees in Panama on March 15.
The Yankees were leading, 1-0 -- thanks to an unearned run in the fourth inning off Marmol -- when Redmond brought Cishek in to pitch the eighth.
"It's been a little bit of a struggle for him all spring," Redmond said. "I'm sure, when the lights come on and he's in a save situation, he'll be fine."
Slowey worked the first three innings against the Yankees and was perfect, facing the minimum nine batters and striking out two. He threw 44 pitches, 27 of them for strikes. It was his sixth appearance and third start of the spring.
• Jeff Baker will be the Marlins' second baseman on Opening Day, when they face Rockies left-hander Jorge De La Rosa, as well as in the second game against lefty Brett Anderson. However, Redmond said Friday, "I see [Derek] Dietrich playing second against right-handers."
• Left fielder Christian Yelich batted leadoff against the Yankees on Friday night, and that is where he will likely hit when the regular season begins on Monday.
" 'Yeli' has some experience leading off," Redmond said. "I feel good with him there."
Jim Hawkins is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.