10/12/2013 7:40 P.M. ET
Did you know? NLCS Game 2: STL 1, LA 0
By Austin Laymance / MLB.com
A look at some notable facts and figures from the St. Louis Cardinals' 1-0 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 2 of the National League Championship Series at Busch Stadium on Saturday.
• St. Louis scored its lone run on Jon Jay's sacrifice fly, becoming only the third team in Major League history to win a postseason game, 1-0, with the only run scored via a sac fly. The Cardinals also did it in Game 6 of the 1987 NLCS against the Giants, while the Astros beat the Phillies in the same fashion in Game 3 of the 1980 NLCS.
• The Dodgers have not scored a run in their last 19 innings, the franchise's longest stretch in the postseason since a 33-inning drought during the 1966 World Series.
• The Cards won despite collecting only two hits, becoming the eighth team to win a postseason game with two hits or fewer. The Yankees were the last club to do it (Game 3 of the 2001 American League Division Series against the Athletics).
One and done
|10/18/1986||WS 1||Red Sox||Mets|
• The game's only run was unearned, marking just the seventh time that's occurred in a 1-0 contest in postseason history. The Braves were the last club to win under those circumstances, beating the Astros in Game 2 of the 2001 NLDS.
• Michael Wacha is the second Cardinals pitcher with consecutive postseason games of at least eight strikeouts and one run or fewer allowed. Bob Gibson also did it during the 1968 World Series.
• Over his last three starts between the regular season and October, Wacha has held opponents to a .093 average (7-for-75), with a 0.39 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 22 2/3 innings.
• Clayton Kershaw became only the second Dodgers pitcher to go at least six innings, allow four hits or fewer with zero earned runs and lose a postseason game. Burt Hooton encountered the same fate in Game 2 of the 1981 World Series.
Getting it done with D
• Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig went 0-for-4 with four strikeouts, and is 0-for-10 with six strikeouts in the NLCS. The outfielder hit .471 and scored five runs in four games during the NLDS.
• The Dodgers were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position, and are 1-for-16 in those situations in the NLCS. The Cards, meanwhile, are 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
• St. Louis is 6-6 all-time in Game 2 of the NLCS, including a 4-3 at home. The Cardinals have won the first two games of the NLCS for the third time in franchise history. They also had a 2-0 series lead in 1982 against Atlanta, and 2004 vs. Houston.
• The Cards are 8-4 in postseason series against the NL West, including 3-2 in the NLCS.
Austin Laymance is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.