7/18/2014 7:58 P.M. ET
Cards to rest Wainwright, move Miller to 'pen
Ace's next start Tuesday; club had planned to give young righty a break
By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com
ST. LOUIS -- With the flexibility to reset their rotation after the All-Star break, the Cardinals will give ace Adam Wainwright an extended period of rest and move Shelby Miller to the bullpen for an undetermined period while employing a four-man rotation.
The schedule sets up to where the Cardinals could get around needing a fifth starter until August, though manager Mike Matheny would not speculate whether the club would keep Miller in the bullpen for that long. The team, which just had a four-day break, has an off-day scheduled after each of its next three series.
The Cardinals entered the season planning to work in rest for Miller, who is in his second full season as a Major League starter. This presented the most obvious opportunity to do that.
"How long that lasts, I'm not going to say [it will be through the end of] the month," Matheny said. "We'll see how guys look and feel. He's ready to go [in the bullpen]. As far as how we use him, it's how we need him."
The Cardinals will, however, revisit these plans, Matheny said, if Miller does not get any use out of the bullpen. The Cards want a reduced workload, not inactivity. There could be benefits to the mental break for Miller, too, as he labored to pitch deep into games and limit the walks in the first half. He has a 4.29 ERA and 1.47 WHIP through 19 starts (109 innings).
As for Wainwright, he will make his first second-half start Tuesday to open a two-game series against the Rays. That will be 10 days after his last start, not including the 21-pitch appearance he made in the All-Star Game this past Tuesday.
"I think they're just being real cautious of making sure that I'm going to be prepared to go the rest because this is going to be a pretty torrid race through the end of the season," Wainwright said. "I think they're mindful of that and they need me to be out there every fifth day. I don't need to be skipping starts. I feel very good, so I don't think I would have done that anyways."
Wainwright affirmed that he has felt no recurrence of discomfort in his forearm since skipping a start last month because of the issue. He entered Friday second in the National League with 138 innings.
"We've worked him hard, and plan on working him hard the rest of the way," Matheny said. "The schedule works out good to get a little extra time for him."
Wainwright plans to be more careful with his words
ST. LOUIS -- Back from his All-Star stay in Minneapolis, Adam Wainwright conceded on Friday that the uproar created after he described a pitch to Derek Jeter as a "pipe shot" did mar the overall experience.
"I'd be lying if I said it didn't," Wainwright said before the team's game against the Dodgers. "But when you bring something upon yourself, what can you expect? I didn't know the fallout was going to last so long and be so wide-based. But dealing with the Michael Jordan of baseball almost for the last 20 years, you should tread lightly, I think, when you talk about him. I used a couple words I probably shouldn't have used."
Wainwright's comments about facing Jeter created an instant social media storm when it was widely interpreted that he pitched Jeter with the intention of trying to make it easier for the Yankees shortstop to get a hit. This came during an interview almost immediately after Wainwright allowed three hits, including a double to Jeter, and three runs in his appearance.
Once the game ended, Wainwright met with the media a second time to clarify his remarks. His emphasis then was that he was trying to throw Jeter a strike because he did not want to fall behind, 2-0. He admitted that "pipe shot" had not been the appropriate wordage.
Even after all the hubbub, Wainwright, one of the Cardinals' most affable and accessible to the media, said he does not plan to change how he engages with the media and public in interviews moving forward.
"I made a mistake, and I move on," Wainwright said. "I'm not going to change how I do things. I'm not going to change the way I interview. I'm going to be more mindful of the words I use, but for crying out loud, this is ridiculous. The people who completely lost respect for me because of this need to realize I messed up."
Wainwright did not speak directly to Jeter after the incident, but did say he had friend Kelly Johnson, who's playing for the Yankees, relay a message to Jeter on his behalf.
Signing deadline for '14 Draft picks passes quietly
ST. LOUIS -- The signing deadline for players taken in this summer's First-Year Player Draft came and went with little fanfare for the Cardinals late Friday afternoon, but only because the organization had wrapped up the bulk of its work last month.
The Cards previously announced the signings of 28 of their 42 picks, including 11 of the team's first 13 selections. The bonuses of those 11 players, as well as the $700,000 given to 29th-round pick Bryan Dobzanski, counted against the Cardinals' bonus pool of $6,582,800.
Cardinals 2014 Draft picks
|1||Luke Weaver||$1,843,000 (slot)|
|1||Jack Flaherty||$2,000,000 (+$349,600)|
|2||Ronnie Williams||$833,900 (slot)|
|2||Andrew Morales||$546,100 (-$250,000)|
|4||Austin Gomber||$374,100 (slot)|
|5||Darren Seferina||$200,000 (-$80,100)|
|6||Andrew Sohn||$209,700 (slot)|
|7||Brian O'Keefe||$150,00 (-$13,200)|
|8||Nick Thompson||$135,000 (-$17,400)|
|9||Daniel Poncedeleon||$5,000 (-$137,300)|
|10||Danny Diekroeger||$5,000 (-$132,700)|
|29||Bryan Dobzanski||$700,000 (+$600,000)|
In total, the organization spent $318,900 more than its allotment, an overage that will result in a fine but no future loss of Draft picks. In addition to Dobzanski, No. 34 overall pick Jack Flaherty ($2 million) signed at an above-slot figure.
Both Flaherty and the Cardinals' top selection, Luke Weaver, have already begun their pro careers with the organization's Gulf Coast League club in Jupiter, Fla.
The competitive balance lottery for the 2015 Draft is scheduled for Wednesday and may give the Cardinals will have an opportunity to win an additional selection next year.
The 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams are eligible for the lottery, which awards five extra picks after the first round and another five following the second round.
The odds of being selected vary based on winning percentages. Major League Baseball is in the process of finalizing which clubs will be included.
Last year, St. Louis was awarded the third pick in the Comp B round, which ended up being the No. 71 overall pick last month. The club used that selection to take college right-hander Andrew Morales.
• Matheny would not speculate as to how much longer Kevin Siegrist (left forearm strain) would be away on a Minor League rehab assignment, though the feedback from the lefty has been positive. Siegrist has made three scoreless appearances for Double-A Springfield, pitching most recently Thursday. Matheny said Siegrist will need to pitch on consecutive days and make at least one multiple-inning appearance before returning from the disabled list.
• Outfielder Stephen Piscotty and right-hander Angel Castro represented the Cardinals in the Triple-A All-Star Game on Wednesday. Piscotty, who entered the game in the sixth, went 1-for-2 with a single. Castro struck out one of the two batters he faced.
• After participating in the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game on Sunday, James Ramsey returned to Springfield, but lasted only one at-bat on Tuesday before being removed with tightness in his right side. Ramsey recently missed time due to a strained right intercostals muscle.
Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, and follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.